The project is for a home automation business based in Bengaluru. It took me around 5 weeks to complete this project. My role was to gather all the resources, make a proper user flow, and design the complete app.
So before getting my hands on this project, I decided to do a quick analysis of all the companies that provide the same services as Apsis. And here’s what I found.
Kasa (By TP-Link)
- Their main product is their own Smart device. Like, smart bulbs, Smart Outdoor plugs.
- Users can create scenes and group them to switch them on/off at the same time.
- The Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug Mini works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for voice commands like, “Hey Google, turn on the lamp.”
- The one thing this app doesn’t support is true energy monitoring.
- Select a time and day of the week, and let the app know what you’d like the plug to do.
- There’s a timer option as well. It will count down a set number of minutes or hours to when you’d like the device to turn on or off.
- Even though the app supports a host of devices, it doesn’t feel cluttered or full of menus. You’ll see only the devices you’ve connected.
- Kasa app requires iOS 10 or above, Android 5.x or above.
- There is no limitation on how many devices can be added/controlled by the Kasa App.
- The functions will take effect even if the Smart Home device loses its internet connection.
- Users — 1M+ Andoird Downloads. Ratings -> 4.7 by 78K Users.
- They again, sell their physical “Wemo smart devices/adapters”.
- WeMo, similar to Kasa devices is integrated with Alexa, Siri, and Google Homes.
- Timer feature available.
- Away mode present.
- Users — 1M+ Android Downloads. Ratings -> 2.6 by 50K Users
- NO web interface available.
- A single Wemo App can control Wemo devices in multiple locations linked to the Wemo Account.
The conclusion from the analysis
First Time User Flow
Sitemap and Information Architecture
It was overall a very exciting project to work on. All the iterations, going back and forth to meet the requirements of the client, all the brainstorming sessions that we had to find just the right solution, were simply exhilarating. The project is currently in the development stage, can’t wait much to use it!!
For more blogs, follow — https://medium.com/@adityasoni9727
If you have any thoughts/reviews with you, feel free to comment or reach out to me on LinkedIn. Hope you enjoyed this article, if you came this far, cheers!